Kansas City International Airport’s three-terminal layout was designed in the 1960s and opened in 1972 before passenger and baggage screening were required. The last two KCI Master Plans recommended building a new, single terminal for added convenience and efficiency. The City of Kansas City, Missouri City Council approved an 18-month study to validate the goals, objectives and passenger demand characteristics to guide the design of a new single terminal complex. Following the completion of that study, the Mayor's Airport Terminal Advisory Group was established and tasked with reviewing appropriate relevant facts and consulting with key stakeholders to make a recommendation as to the optimal configuration of KCI. Subject to final cost estimates, a new single terminal was found to be the best alternative.
From 2014 through mid-2016 the Aviation Department worked with its airline partners to determine how to improve terminal facilities for airport users with a primary focus on customer convenience and affordability. The team weighed options that including working with the existing buildings to enhance and update them as well as building new facilities that are designed with current and future needs in mind. On April 26, 2016 the Aviation Department and its airline partners presented a final recommendation to the City of Kansas City, Missouri City Council for a new single terminal design.
Now the City’s Aviation Department is asking residents to weigh in directly on the next step in the planning process for any potential upgrades at Kansas City International Airport. Feedback from residents will be gathered through a series of listening sessions hosted by business, neighborhood and community groups.
The listening sessions will be an open forum for residents to discuss their thoughts and concerns about the airport with Aviation Department leadership, and will include a short presentation to bring everyone up-to-date on previous planning efforts. Information gathered through community listening sessions will directly influence the terminal facility planning process and will be shared with City Council members. Click here for more information and to schedule your neighborhood group.
The links below provide an overview and additional information will be posted as it is available.
- May 17, 2017 - Burns & McDonnell New Terminal Financing Proposal- Frequently Asked Questions
- May 12, 2017 - Major James Announces Innovative Proposal for KCI Terminal
- May 12, 2017 - Term Sheet for Memorandum of Understanding - Terminal Modernization Project
- May 12, 2017 - Memorandum of Understanding - Terminal Modernization Project
- May 1, 2017 - Community Listening Session
- January 26, 2017 - Airport Committee - Customer Service Improvements
- October 20, 2016 - Airport Committee - Capital Improvement Projects
- August 18, 2016 - Airport Committee - Customer Service Improvements
- July 7, 2016 – Letter from TSA Federal Security Director James Spriggs
- April 26, 2016 - Airport Committee - Leadership Recommendation
- April 12, 2016 - Airport Committee - Customer Service Evaluation
- March 15, 2016 - Airport Committee - New Terminal Evaluation
- February 23, 2016 - Airport Committee - Air Service Overview + Financing Plan
- February 16, 2016 - Airport Commitee - Basic Capital Improvements Presentation
- February 2, 2016 - Airport Commitee - Major Renovation Evaluation
- January 26, 2016 – Airport Committee – Overview of Financial Operations
- January 26, 2016 – Airport Committee – Overview of Exhibit “K” Process
- December 10, 2015 - Airport Committee - Terminal Development Program Process Update
- August 25, 2015 - Airport Committee - TIP Summary
- July 21, 2015 - Mayor and City Council Business Session - Development Program Process Update
- July 2015 - 2015 Customer Service Survey
- October 2013 - Zip Code Survey Results
- April 2013 - Advance Terminal Planning - Executive Summary
- April 2013 - Advance Terminal Planning - Presentation
- 2013 Environmental Assessment Open House Boards
- October 18, 2012 - Site Selection Analysis
- Mayor's Airport Terminal Advisory Group Website
- Related Articles
KCI Master Plan and Part 150 Studies
On Dec 18th, 2008, the City Council for the City of Kansas City, Missouri approved Resolution No. 081231. This resolution adopts the Kansas City International Airport 2008 Master Plan Study and Part 150 Noise Compatibility Program as the official guide for development of Kansas City International Airport. The Executive Summary for each of these studies is presented on this site. These plans are important tools the City uses to identify aviation issues and needs, land use, transportation issues, development guidelines, recommendations and priorities for public investment, stormwater management and environmental stewardship for the project area. They will serve as the framework to guide decision-making as it relates to the KCI facilities and the City’s overall Comprehensive Plan. This is the first time anywhere that an Airport Master Plan and Noise Compatibility Study have ever been combined with a general land use plan for the surrounding area.